Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hodgepodgin'

Today I am linking up with my mom's blog and the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Click on the link if you'd like to join too! Let's get started!

1. Since these questions are posting on the first day of April it seems only right to ask-when was the last time you did something foolish? If you can't answer that one, try this one-when was the last time someone fooled you?

As a teacher of third graders April Fool's Day is a pretty big deal- all of my little ones were trying to trick me all day and they had some pretty clever ideas. Luckily I was on guard and managed to figure out their "pranks". However, on the morning news our IC made an announcement about weather for next week showing a huge drop in temperature from our current gorgeous weather (See question 8) and said the weatherman said there might even be snow! Even though I was pretty sure it was a prank, my heart did jump a little bit at the thought of MORE cold weather.

2. What's the last biography or non-fiction book you've read? Was it any good?

For school or for pleasure? I read quite a few non-fiction books with my students. The last one was called "Fossil Hunters" and was all about fossils. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone over the age of 8 but my little reading group enjoyed it :) For pleasure I think it was "I Am in Here" by Elizabeth Bonker and Virginia Breen. It is a fantastic story about a child who has autism and cannot speak but writes wonderful poetry which becomes her way to communicate. It is written by her mother but also includes a large selection of the young girl's poetry. It was such an inspiring read and I recommend it to anyone!

3. Garlic-friend or foe? What's your favorite dish made with garlic?

Friend! Best friends in fact. I love all dishes with garlic and never shy away from it. I love pasta dishes with big chunks of garlic, roasted garlic that gets sweet and delicious, mixed into mashed potatoes or any other way you can think of. Recently I tried a salad that had this yummy garlicky/gingery dressing. Here is the recipe- enjoy!

4. Several Spring flower festivals happen in the US during the month of April. Of those listed, which would you most like to see in person...The Skagit Tulip Festival in Skagit Washington, The Dogwood Arts Festival in Knoxville Tennessee, The North Carolina Azalea Festival in Wilmington North Carolina or the Daffodil Festival Weekend on Nantucket Island, Massachussets?

Definitely the tulip festival. No question. I love tulips and would love to see this!

5. How do you choose which blogs to read?  What is something that will make you stop and read every time? Something that makes you say, 'eh, think I'll skip this one and move on to the next'?

Well being new to the blogging world I am still kind of sorting this trick out. I have always kept up with my mom and sister's blog as well as a few friends from college/high school. But lately as I browse through blogs recommended by my mom, sister or my trusted friend pinterest I usually just read through a few posts and decide if it is a blog I can relate to on some level or another. I love a blog that has a lot of pictures and is written in a very approachable way.

6. April is National Mathematics Education Month so tell us, when did you last use math? 

All the time! I was grading just before writing this post and that uses math so 30 minutes ago?

7. In honor of the A-Z challenge kicking off on April 1...choose one word beginning with the letter A to describe your yesterday.

Already?

8. Insert your own random thought here.

It was 82 degrees here today! I was in 7th heaven at recess and loved my drive home with the windows down, sunglasses on and music up. Pool weather is here friends!!



15 comments:

  1. Hi, Maggie! So happy you've decided to join us for Hodgepodge! Love the look of your blog! We've been having temps. here in the upper 70's to low 80's and I couldn't be happier! We had a long, cold winter! I love tulips, as well, but there's just something about Knoxville that always draws me in. That's where my husband and I lived as a newly married couple and where our first daughter was born...I, also, got my Master's from UT. Just a lot of history there, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 36 degrees here this morning, so not quite pool weather up north : ) I'm so happy to see you in the HP! And the blogosphere! Enjoy your sweet class and warm weather recess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stopping over from 'The Hodgepodge', to say "Welcome!" I enjoyed visiting your new blog, and am so glad you joined 'The Hodgepodge' today!

    As a resident of your neighboring state, I, also, enjoyed the 82 degree weather, yesterday :) Yay for spring!

    I look forward to visiting your blog again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weather girl had the same prank. lol 82! Our high will be 51 with rain. Nice Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the Hodgepodge! We just moved from Florida to Michigan last Nivember, so I'm still adjusting to it NOT being 83 degrees. :) enjoy your warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to blogland! I sooooo enjoy your Mom's blog and also read Shannon's, so glad you joined them. I'm thinking that your 3rd graders are mighty blessed to have you as their teacher. My daughter teaches 5th grade and it is without a doubt her God given calling. She is passionate about it.
    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maggie - Welcome to Hodge Podge. I used to teach 2nd graders at one time. My grandson has autism and I love finding new books on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although I love winter, it is so nice being able to go outside without having to bundle up! Loving this spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning! I usually do the Hodgepodge, but had a busy day yesterday and didn't get around to it. I enjoyed yours, and LOVE your mother's blog. The book you recommended sounds wonderful and I am definitely going to look for it, so thanks for the tip. Hope you have a good days with your students, and enjoy your warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember hating April Fool's Day when I was still in elementary school because I'd almost always be fooled by some prank, unless it was particularly outlandish. The idea of being tricked just makes me anxious lol. Thanks for recipe! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. yepper Fools Day prank by the weather people here was being correct about the snow. We got about 3 inches or so. I don't think mother Nature and I share the same sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by from your mom's blog....welcome to blogging! My friend did the best April Fools joke she went to dollar store and got a bunch of white plates and with a brown sharpie colored E's all over and then put foil over and gave out her Brownies...cute uh! Enjoy your warm weather....i'm currently hovering over a space heater freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How much do I love seeing you participate in the Hodgepodge!!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the salad link, it sounds delicious! My only suggestion on blogging is don't over extent yourself by following everyone your meet. Make it easy and fun! Love your random, enjoy the weather......

    ReplyDelete