Sunday, May 11, 2014

My Mother's Daughter


A lot of my students this week were asking me who invented Mother's Day, why we have it and the biggest question was why there isn't a kids day. I responded by telling them that to a mom every day is kids day so it seems only fair that mom should get a day all for herself.  And isn't that the truth y'all? I feel so blessed to be my mother's daughter and think she deserves way more than just one day a year to celebrate how wonderful and amazing she is.


She has always been encouraging throughout my whole life including supporting me (emotionally, mentally and financially) through my undergraduate and graduate programs reminding me every day that I could do it. And I should tell you those 5 1/2 years also included at least 6 moves which involved a lot of boxes, 100+ degree heat and no less than 200 trips back and forth from the car. Did I tell she's amazing?


Graduation- 2012

                                      
                                                                Graduation- 2013

She has always been my cheerleader- even when I did things that I am sure surprised her like deciding on a whim to become a cheerleader with no cheerleading experience.


She cheered me on through that adventure and so many more. She was cheering me on the whole time that I was looking for the right job and was of course the first person I called when I finally got the job that I know she had been praying so hard for me to find. 

She is always there for a phone call when I have had a great day or a horrible day or just a completely normal day. And I know that I may sometime take her being there for granted but it is truly special to have a mom who, no matter how busy she is, always makes time for me.



I hear a lot that I am definitely my mother's daughter. Sometimes it is after people see me and they realize that  I am her twin. Or sometimes when I am anxiously worrying about something silly or being just a little bit accident prone. But no matter when I hear it, that statement makes me feel so proud. She is someone I aspire to be like and I hope as I continue to grow into adulthood that I will continue to hear people say "you are definitely your mother's daughter". Because that means I am doing something very right in my life. I am a momma's girl for sure but how could I not be when I have the best mom in the whole world?


I love you Momma!

10 comments:

  1. Definitely a sweet post! You made your mother proud, I know. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by from your mom's blog to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping over to wish you a happy birthday!! I think you have a very special mom, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Hope it's the best one ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm hopping over from The Hodgepodge, on your mom's blog, to wish you a very happy birthday! I hope it's a great one.
    By the way, this was a very sweet post. I haven't actually met your mom, but have come to realize, through her blog, that she's a very special lady. You're blessed! Enjoy your day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, beautiful words for a Mom to treasure. What a wonderful relationship!

    Happy birthday to you!! Your Mom had some strong words to say about you today as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw.....Your mom's a gem, so you are a great pair :) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maggie! My name is Heather and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer my question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1 AT gmail DOT com :-) I greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete