Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Birthday Week Hodgepodging

 From this Side of the Pond

It's Hodgepodge time! Head on over to my mom's blog to join in the fun! 

1. Something you've done recently that required you giving 110% ?

I would say setting up my classroom. I have always tried to put a good amount of effort into getting my room set up but this year I really had a blank canvas to work with and I gave it a bit more umph than I have the past few years when I've been operating out of the same room. I tried to find new things to display, more ways to be organized, more books, more labels and more joy. And that last one- the joy in the hard- really takes me the whole 110% effort some days :) 

2. What task-sport-chore-hobby-activity have you participated in or completed, that if judged, would land you a perfect 10?  

Being on time. I am perpetually early and pride myself on not being late. I truly hate being late, even if the thing I'm late to is casual and no one cares. I care. I've always operated under the motto that "early is on time and on time is late". So I think if there was a competition for arriving early/promptly I'd definitely be awarded a 10/10. 

3. What are ten of your favorite things right now? 

1. Cooler evenings to spend on the porch.

2. My students' excitement for the end of our chapter book. 

3. New sneakers.

4. Upcoming weekend plans.

5. My nephews...they get to be on any and all favorite lists I make.

6. My new team at school, they're the best! 

7.  Lunch dates with my hubby.

8. Group texts with our favorite couple friends. 

9. Pumpkins...they're out people and I am here for it!

10. The Bible Recap...my daily bible reading podcast.


4. Nine times out of ten I _________________________.

Snooze my alarm. I mean honestly it's probably more like 9.75 times out of 10. I've been trying to do better and have gotten myself down to just one snooze (as opposed to like 3) but it's definitely still a frequent occurrence! 

5. Where were you when the world stopped turning, twenty years ago this week? 

I was in my 6th grade English class with Mrs. Smalley. I had just turned 11 the day before. I can remember that day so clearly and the days after as well. And even at 11 I felt the shock, the pain, the  fear of our country and then the pride and unity. And still when I reflect on that day, I can feel the shock and the pain as clear as ever but the sense of pride and patriotism always overcomes it. 

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

It's my birthday this weekend so I'm celebrating all week...which if you know my family you just know it's how we roll. But "treating myself" sure looks a little different a few days from 31 than it did when I was a few days from 13. Now it looks more like, splurging on Starbucks before work and eating ice cream from the tub on the couch, and going to bed early to watch Netflix in bed. Don't worry there are also some more exciting birthday plans for the weekend but for now, on a Tuesday evening as I write this, I'm pretty happy with the way birthday week is going so far! 

9 comments:

  1. Happiest of birthday weeks to you Maggie. My granddaughter is also a kinder teacher and since she taught all of last year on Zoom - a total nightmare - she was also thrilled to be able to decorate a new classroom for actual face-to-face teaching. It takes special people to do what you both do and love the doing of it. We look forward to hearing about the big weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy early birthday. I enjoyed your answers. I guess I could say I would score a perfect 10 on being on time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband would TOTALLY agree with your motto "early is on time and on time is late"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a happy 31st birthday. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite hodgepodger is here today : ) Happy birthday week! You know I'm on board with a weeklong celebration-ha! Your room turned out so cute and I'm sure your kiddos are happy to be in your class xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Splurge away all week long. Happy early birthday. Hubby's birthday is tomorrow. You are a gift to your students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! I like how you plan to splurge all week. You betcha!!
    Prayers to you for the school year.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, happy birthday, Maggie, and celebrate all month if you can!! I enjoyed today's Hodgepodge and your answers! I am right there with you on never being late. Ten minutes early is on-time in my book!! Wishing you many blessings in the year ahead!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, abundant blessings on your birthday, good for you, celebrating all week! We only go around once! You are as good of a writer as your precious Mom and that's a huge compliment. Always enjoy stopping by your sweet blog.

    ReplyDelete