Thursday, May 2, 2024

Baby Riley- Months 1 and 2

Months 1 and 2 really got away from me. And honestly month 3 is too! Since I’m writing this month1 and 2 update only 6 days before she turns 3 months (yikes!). Two under two keeps me busy and finding time (or energy when there is time)i s a challenge. But I love that I have these little updates for JB and so I want to have that for Riley as well. So here we go…

Current Stats:
As of her 2 month appointment she was 11lbs 13 oz and 23 inches. So she’s growing! 

Likes: She loves people! She loves to look at people and loves it when people make faces at her or just give her a big smile. She’ll smile right back and she has the absolute best smile! She likes to stretch out and lay down so she can kick her legs. She enjoys being outside in the backyard and going for walks. She loves to watch her brother. She likes her bouncer and is pretty happy in the bath too! She likes to listen to good country music with her daddy and luckily for us also seems to enjoy sleeping. 


Dislikes: Honestly as long as she is fed, clean/dry and not too tired she is a happy baby. So she doesn’t love being hungry, sleepy or having a wet/dirty diaper but who can blame her? Otherwise there aren’t too many things I’ve noticed as true dislikes. Unless you count turning her head to the right! She has some torticollis, which is just some extra tight neck muscles that make it hard for them to turn one way or the other. It is typically due to womb positioning and often works itself out but some babes do need some PT and we’ve started that so hopefully that will help her work out the kinks she’s dealing with. She also doesn’t necessarily love tummy time- I wouldn’t say she hates it but it’s not her favorite. She dealt with reflux quite a bit for the first couple weeks and that made tummy time hard for her- now that we’ve got that sorted she does better with it. 


Eating, Sleeping, Playing: She is still eating pretty frequently, about every 2 hours during the day but that is starting to space out to closer to 3 hours which is great. She has done great with eating and we’ve had a great nursing journey so far. We did have the reflux to sort out initially and she did have a cows milk protein intolerance that had me stop dairy (for now) but otherwise it’s been pretty smooth sailing for which I am so grateful. I know breastfeeding can be so challenging for some and so I’m extra thankful for the smooth process it’s been for us. 


Overnight she is doing big long stretches which is just fabulous. I honestly don’t even like to say it out loud because I don’t want to jinx myself and because I know it cold change any time but she often sleeps through the night. If she doesn’t sleep through, she’ll have one early morning wake up usually around 3:30-5:00 before going back to sleep till anywhere from 6:30-8. She goes down for the night around 8 so this has been amazing and we hope she keeps it up! She is still in her bassinet and seems to be happy there. We’re currently in the process of transitioning her out of her swaddle which is going well- we’re doing one arm out at the moment and we’ll move to both arms out in a couple days before switching to a sleep sack. As far as naps that’s a bit more loosey goosey for her. I think she is doing about 5 naps per day still but honestly I don’t track her sleep the way I did JB. She tends to take shorter naps, so she does need more naps but I know that at some point she’ll start to lengthen them so I try not to stress. She naps wherever works at that moment. Sometimes its her bassinet, sometimes the pack n play in our living room ,sometimes its in the car on the go or in the carrier while we’re doing things around the house. She goes with the flow and we’re thankful for her flexibility. 


She typically stays awake about an hour and a half after a nap before going back down give or take a little bit. She’s always ready for that first nap sooner and she definitely needs her pre bedtime nap usually around 5:30 or 6 (it’s always just a short little catnap to tide her over till bedtime). Otherwise we’re not on a set nap schedule yet and that’s working fine. During her awake time, she tags along with whatever brother is doing. So she’ll hang on her mat while he’s playing with toys or be outside with us, or we go for walks or she helps me do chores (while in the carrier)- she’s along for the ride, whatever it is! She’s not super interested in her baby toys yet but does like her play mat! 

Favorite Moments: Well since I’m covering 2 whole months there are many to choose from…she’s gotten to meet all of her great grandparents which is always special. But I think my most favorite is her starting to smile…which happened several weeks ago and yet it still continues to thrill me every time I see it. She’s starting to chuckle too so I know that good baby belly laugh is just around the corner and I can’t wait! My other favorite moment is JB meeting her for the first time, that was a precious time that I hope I never forget. He continues to enjoy her, and for that we are grateful! He’s adjusted so well and we hope they grow up to be best buds. Oh and family photos would be another favorite. We had these done at I think 11 days old and they will be treasured for sure!


The move from one to two has definitely been a whirlwind but I am loving every minute! 

3 comments:

  1. She's absolutely precious and we love everthing about her xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for catching us up, Maggie!! I loved reading this post and seeing your precious babies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are adapting so well to mothering two children. Your pictures are absolutely precious!

    ReplyDelete