Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Linking up with the Hodgepodge!



Hello again! I'm still trying to get back in the swing of things in the blogging world but I certainly have appreciated all the drop ins and hellos! Today I'm linking up with my mom'sblog for her Wednesday Hodgepodge. 

1. March is National Women's History Month. In that vein, who are three women who've been influential in your life? How so? 

It was so hard to choose just three but I'm going to have to go with my mother, my cousin Anna and my 5th grade teacher.  I was blessed to be born into a family of strong women and if I was allowed more than three I could have easily listed all of the women in my family- and there are a lot of them. My mom has shaped me into the person I am in so many ways, so much so that I wrote a blog post about it that you can read here

My cousin Anna passed away almost 4 years ago from AML and that event could certainly count as influential on its own. Anna though, she was incredible. She had an unfailing strength in the Lord that I admire and try to emulate as best I can in my daily life. 

My 5th grade teacher is who really inspired me to pursue the profession and who I think first instilled in me my passion for teaching. I think it was that year that I asked for an overhead projector for my birthday and I can only hope that my kids look back on their time in my room in the same way that I look back on my time in her class. 

2. In what ways do you think women have it easier than men? 

This question has me stumped. I've been racking my brain all day and the only thing I can come up with is maybe it's easier/more accepted for girls to show their emotions more openly? That doesn't seem like a great answer but it's all I've got! 

3. What do you need most right now: faith, love, hope, or peace? 

I have to go with peace on this one. I am a worrier by nature and often find myself praying for peace over whatever it is that has me worried that day. With everything going on in the world these days, I think we could all use a little peace. 


4. Do you have a collection? If so, what do you collect and why? 

Yes and it is thanks to another strong woman in my life! My grandmother on my dad's side got my sister and I into collecting beautiful, hand-painted, antique teacups. Now when I say collecting I really mean she has done most of the actual collecting and most of my collecting has been out of her living room but I have a good amount proudly displayed in my apartment and would love to find some of my own as well!


5. Plaids, checks, polka dots, stripes...your favorite?

Polka dots- I love them!! I have several polka dotted things in my closet and they are some of my favorites. 

6. In what ways are you the same as your childhood self? 

As evidenced by some of my mom's blog posts I have always been stubborn and I remain quite stubborn to this day. I have a hard time giving in and often just want to dig in my heels when faced with a challenge. 

7. You're a contestant on the TV game show Jeopardy. What category will you ace?  

It certainly won't be French Literature or any number of the categories that make me wonder how all of these people store these facts in their brain. I would ace any category related to Harry Potter, Disney or how to wrangle third graders. Are those coming up on any Jeopardy shows in the near future? 

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

This post needed a picture so I present to you one of the many beautiful sunrises we see here in South Carolina. What a joy it is to walk out of my apartment and see this! 

9 comments:

  1. What fun it was too see you liked up here today! I've seen photos and read blog posts of your mom's that make me almost feel like you're the neighbor girl all grown up. I'll be sure not to be a Jeopardy contestant against you, for I know little related to Disney and less about Harry Potter. :-) PS. Collecting from your grandma seems like a good idea to me. I hope my grandkids will one day want some of my (fabulous) coffee mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Maggie...happy to see you joining us for Hodgepodge today! I can only imagine all the ways your mom has influenced your life in a positive way. The way she expresses the deep love she has for you and your sister is remarkable. Love that beautiful sky! We're lucky to have a lot of beautiful sunrises and sunsets here in GA., too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not stubborn. We're determined : ) You are your mother's daughter! What jeopardy category would you ace? Sharks! So happy to see you first on the list this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you on Spring Break just yet? I am! It was fun you were able to link up with Hodgepodge. My fifth grade teacher had some influence on my reading. I have taught many years of third and fifth grades and I always tried super hard to influence my students like my fifth grade teacher. It is so fun now to have former students friend me on Facebook now that they are older. I love following them and their journeys. They often talk about some of the fun things we did in class all those years ago. Keep making a difference! Have a toad-ally awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a hard time with question #2 as well. I like your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Social Studies teacher in high school inspired me to be a teacher. I will never forget him! That is a beautiful sunrise. I see some fabulous sunsets from our dining room window. I'm not much of a photographer though ;) Nice to see you at the Hodgepodge today :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to grin at your mom's answer...determined! A much better word than stubborn. Loved reading your Hodgepodge answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You also write like your mom; I smiled reading your phrasing and humor. My third grade teacher inspired me to teach. Keep up the good work, wrangling and all.

    ReplyDelete