Thursday, April 8, 2021

It's All Greek To Me

 Continuing along today with the April A-Z Blog Challenge and my travel adventures. Our family moved to England when I was just shy of 13 and spent the next 6 years across the pond. This month, as part of an A-Z blogging challenge. I am reflecting on the time I spent overseas during my teens.


G is for Greece

When I think about my travel experiences from these years, I always tend to group them into two categories. Trips I took with school or Young Life and then trips I took with my family. And as far as the family trips go, our trip to Greece is one of my favorites (although, the number 1 spot is saved for a later post). I think one of the reasons I loved this trip was because it was very much a relaxing vacation with just the right amount of sightseeing thrown in. 

Based on the pictures I have, it would seem most of what we did was go out to dinner. But I'm positive we did more than that, I just don't have as much photographic evidence of it. We were staying outside of Athens, right on the Agean Sea but we did spend one day touring around the sites of Athens. 

We checked out the former Olympic Stadium. And greatly amused my sister with our podium poses. 


Honestly, the thing I remember most about our day in Athens was how unbelievably HOT it was. With not a spot of shade in sight. But we still packed in plenty of fun. 


We visited the Acropolis. Looking back at this picture, all the scaffolding makes those columns seem a bit precarious doesn't it? 


We spent most of the rest of our trip closer the hotel. But we got a real taste of the culture and beauty of the area. We ate our weight in Greek Salads and spanakopita, and stuffed grape leaves.


Also, if you're looking for some evidence of how hot it was while we were there, might I point you in the direction of my hair. Goodness that humidity was something! 


We visited some local shops and perused the windows full of art, clothes, jewelry, honey, olives and more. Greece is where I learned that they actually consume more olive oil than any other country. And of course my sister and I had to pick up some handmade sandals. 


And when we were't strolling the streets in our sandals, we were dangling our toes over the sea, swapping sister stories, probably telling our parents to quit taking our pictures and wondering how we managed to get so lucky that this was our life. 


We enjoyed the salt and the sun. (And no sand!)


We relished the sea breeze in our hair. 


We relaxed by the pool with a book in our hands. 


And soaked up every gorgeous sunset. 





3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am really enjoying your A-Z, Maggie! Thanks again for taking us along through your memories of six amazing years across the pond! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! It's been fun thinking back over all these experiences. And thank goodness for mom who sends me pictures!

      Delete
  2. Let's go again!! Also your hair is perfect : )

    ReplyDelete