Saturday, April 24, 2021

U is for Underground

U is for Underground

Living outside of London, one of the first things we had to learn was the London Underground, most commonly known as "the tube". Now let me tell you I have since ridden on public transportation in many major cities, but the London Underground (and above ground) trains are by far my favorite and easiest of them all. The maps are easy to follow, even for the most novice of travelers and as far as public transport goes- pretty clean and they always felt very safe.

And in the years I spent overseas, I spent a good amount of time hopping all over the city on the various tube lines. Early on in our stay overseas, a friend of mine asked me to go shopping with her in London- meaning both an above ground train trip and bopping in and out the tube once we were in the city. I was 13. And I think my mom was shocked at the idea that it was normal to just send your young teen off on the train by themselves, but she was brave and said yes and that began years of me developing independence, confidence and responsibility. 

The underground weaves you all around London, to all of the places you want to go and visit while you're there. Because while movie montages would imply they are all right next to each other, some of the best sights are spread out far across the city. 




You're of course going to want to check out Big Ben and the Parliament building. 

And then make your way across the bridge to check out the London Eye. A giant ferris wheel that gives you some stunning views of the city. It goes far slower than any ferris wheel you find at the fair, the "bubbles" you go around in are full glass-windows and giant. 

And occasionally at the base of the eye, you'll find some other fun things. Like extra-bouncy giant trampolines that require a harness. And maybe your parents will be cool enough to let you try it. 

One of my favorite tourist locations in London is the Tower of London. The tours are given by the "beefeaters" and they do such a phenomenal job- they're both informative and hilarious and its the most engaging tour. It's one of the tours, I didn't mind doing over and over with each visitor that came to see us. Plus the crown jewel collection is there...and that's obviously a can't miss!

Did you even go to London if you don't see Buckingham Palace? 

And a personal fave...stopping at Hyde Park to enjoy the gorgeous summer weather, with an ice cream cone and a Cadbury chocolate flake? The weather in London gets a bad wrap, and there are definitely dreary, rainy months. But the summers are just the best!


And sometimes, you won't ride the tube. You'll walk all over, down every street, or jump into an iconic London cab. 


But no matter how you get from spot to spot, in and around London...you're in London! Which is the best place to be. 

8 comments:

  1. I have heard that the trains and the 'tube' are great in London and you have sure confirmed it. Great pictures! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ice cream cone looks awfully big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only kind of ice cream worth eating :)

      Delete
  3. I live on the East side of London and thanks to the 2012 Olympics the public transport service is even better now for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh excellent! I think since London was my first main public transport experience (we moved from the suburbs where we just drove everywhere), I was spoiled! And I'm always disappointed in other systems.

      Delete
  4. I am going to be sad when the alphabet ends. It has been so much fun reliving so many trips and places and especially today, my favorite city. Let's go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been to the UK or for that matter any place in Europe. Would love to visit some time . I want to see all the castles I have read about

    https://pagesfromjayashree.blogspot.com/2021/04/v-for-veritaserum.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well I sure hope you get to visit someday! It really is a special place. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete