Tuesday, March 1, 2022

One Whole Year

On March 1, 2021 I opened up my blog after it being silent for almost 5 years. Several teachers at the school I was working in at the time, were going to be participating in the Slice of Life Writing Challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers and I thought "why not?". 

My blog was metaphorically dusty and truthfully even when I'd written my blog previously, it hadn't really seemed to work for me. I could never quite get in the groove of writing consistently. But I decided it would be a fun challenge, get me out of my comfort zone and be a useful tool as a writing teacher as well. So I wrote this post and committed to finishing. And I did! And the next month, I completed the April A-Z challenge and in the months that followed, while I didn't write a post every day anymore, I kept writing. Some months more infrequent than others, some posts more content rich and others more random thoughts but I kept at it. And here we are exactly 1 year after I restarted my blogging adventure and I'm still here and that feels like a big deal. 

When a friend asked if I'd be slicing again this year, I was a little hesitant at first. Honestly, it hadn't been on my radar and I had kind of forgotten it was a thing. Also these days I don't always know what day it is and was shocked that March was just around the corner. Also, I'm not teaching right now and while the space in the challenge definitely welcomes former teachers as well as current I just wasn't sure I'd have the content to get me through 31 days of writing. But seeing as how one of my new years goals was to write more often, a challenge of writing everyday for 31 days seemed like something I couldn't really say no to. 

So I responded to my friend with a yes and signed up as a participant in the 2022 Slice of Life Challenge, which means you'll be seeing me here in this space for the next 31 days. Happy slicing! 

Today I'm linking up with Two Writing Teachers as part of the slice of life challenge. 


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a year of consistent blogging! That's truly an accomplishment. It seems for so many of us, our writing lives ebb and flow. I'm looking forward to seeing what ideas you come up with for your slices this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to be totally consistent with blogging. Even though I'm retired it's not always easy to post something every day. Challenges certainly help though. Good luck with your new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a year of blogging! The challenge is what really got me motivated to write "regularly", too. It will be interesting to find your territory outside the classroom :) Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are your Mother's child for sure! She takes on these writing challenges and aces them and you will do the same. I look forward to following along and reading your posts. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always happy to see that you have a post so will look forward to seeing you every day this month!! Have fun! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first started blogging I felt like I should write every day. But some days I either had nothing to write about or it was just too busy of a day. Over the years I realized that I don't need to write every day and that has made it easier to "keep up". I so enjoy reading your posts. You and your mom are wonderful at creating with your words. Thank you for sharing them here.

    ReplyDelete