Thursday, March 11, 2021

Birthday's Are a Big Deal

I have been blessed with two of the world's best grandmothers. I'm sure everyone says that but I'm positive it's true in my case. Well today, one of them has a birthday! And what a perfect opportunity to celebrate how wonderful she is.

So Grandma, I hear you're turning 85...well let me tell you I don't believe it! That number seems like someone who would be tired and cranky, who moves slow and is behind the times. And you, are none of those things. You're full of youthful energy and joy, you keep up with your crazy family and you've got to be one of the most savvy texting grandmas I know. 

We are so lucky to be celebrating 85 years of you. Everyone who knows you has been blessed by your joy and positivity. By your ability to form an immediate emotional connection with someone. Your openness and vulnerability with those around you. You love your people, and everyone else's people so fiercely well. We often joke about how you've never met a stranger. And while we might give you a hard time about getting the life story of the waitress and sharing yours right back, I actually find it beautiful. That you're able to draw people in, make them feel at ease and welcomed no matter where we are. The other thing we sometimes like to tease you about is your uncanny ability to remember even the tiniest of details. First of all, we should all hope to have a memory like that, particularly as we get older. But second of all, I think it speaks volumes of how you write memories onto your heart, not in pencil but with permanent marker. They aren't there to be later replaced by something newer or better. You let each moment be so full of meaning, so full of emotion and then let it linger to be pulled back to the surface at the drop of a hat And I love it. 



I'm lucky enough to have been the recipient of all of these amazing qualities for the last 30 years and I am so grateful. We certainly don't see enough of each other these days. Like seriously, I need some updated pictures! But the moments we do are precious. And the memories I have are numerous and beautiful. 

So today, I am wishing you the happiest, most joyful of birthdays. A day with more memories to write on your heart. With more love to embrace and share. A day with some (even if not all of your people). Happy birthday Grandma, I love you!



This month I am linking up with "Two Writing Teachers" for a slice of life, daily writing challenge. 


10 comments:

  1. This slice is so beautiful--how lucky you are to have such a special Grandma! It is clear she is a pretty wonderful lady. Happy birthday to her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very special! I always admire those who are close to their grandparents. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet love letter to someone who, obviously, means the world to you. Eighty five is the new 60, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, an absolutely beautiful tribute. I love the way you describe how your grandmother writes memories on her heart. "You let each moment be so full of meaning, so full of emotion and then let it linger to be pulled back to the surface at the drop of a hat."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet! Grandmas are treasures and you clearly treat yours as the special person she is. Love how you celebrated her here and the pictures really put it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandmas are so special as you say, but I agree each one is specially special, so good to share her loveliness with us and get to know her a bit. You're very fortunate from someone who never met either of her grandmas, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely fortunate to have both of my grandmother's still with me!

      Delete
  7. Maggie, this is such a lovely gift for your grandmother on the occasion of her 85th birthday. May God continue to bless her with health and vitality and may you all celebrate many more birthdays with her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri- she is definitely a special person!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to your Grandma! You are so lucky to have such a wonderful person in your life.

    ReplyDelete