Tuesday, March 9, 2021

My Favorite Job

To the sweetest little man, who isn't so little anymore:

From the moment I knew you existed I loved you. When your mom called to tell us you would be making your grand arrival into the world, rest assured there were happy tears and happy cheers and the biggest smiles you could imagine. 

From almost 3,000 miles away, I prayed for you and waited for you and loved you.

The weeks leading up to you, are some of the sweetest of memories. I got to spend the last few weeks of waiting, with your mom and dad. Did you know your mom and I are best friends? (and sisters too). I drove mommy around, and helped with dinner and the dog and got to go to her baby shower. Your mommy and I spent hours walking, talking, getting slurpees, and watching reruns of our favorite shows all while we impatiently waited for you. 

And then there you were. 

And my heart burst. You were tiny and precious with a head full of hair. I soaked up every possible snuggle I could in your first 8 days. As far as I was concerned, aunt life was officially the best life. 

The days and weeks kept going, with me much to far from you and your parents, and you changed daily before my eyes it seemed. Each facetime seemed to hold something brand new. Oh how I loved getting to be aunt "gaggie" when you first learned to talk. And to tell you the truth little man, the first day I heard you say aunt Maggie, it made my heart ache. You may not be as little anymore but you're still my little mini bff. I love exploring with you and snuggling with you and reading with you and listening to all of your many many words. You’re so smart and you’re kind and thoughtful and inquisitive. My heart still bursts when I see you.

You made me an aunt. Which as it turns out, is the best job I've ever had. 





This month I am linking up with "Two Writing Teachers" for a slice of life, daily writing challenge. 


12 comments:

  1. I love being an aunt. I agree, it is a wonderful job! I feel such a bond with my Godson it isn't even funny. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! I love the pictures for sure - and your words are such a gift. I hope you share them with your sister and nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet. Love the sequence of time you infused in this. Being an aunt is the best! I am one 6 times over-best job ever indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful tribute! I can sense the love between sisters and you and little man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What delightful photos that just capture all the anticipation of those moments and then the new arrival. Your nephew sure is a blessing as you are to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love you aunt gaggie! Thank you for loving my boys so well. I loved this post so much. Some of my favorite memories with you are from waiting for Tommy to arrive. I can’t wait to be an aunt to your little ones someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, this is so sweet! Made me all teary-eyed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, You made me cry. This is very special.
    xx oo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww... tears falling. So sweet. Seems I'm not alone. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the sweetest posts ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Maggie that is so sweet and I like Aunt Gaggie too. So glad you are blogging again.Love you. Gma

    ReplyDelete