Saturday, March 13, 2021

How's That Saying Go Again?

Let me set the scene. Hubby and I had a delicious dinner last night followed by some ice cream at the local dairy. While we were there we picked up a new jug of chocolate milk. We made our way home, enjoying some delicious chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream with the knowledge we would be able to enjoy chocolate milk all week. Or so we thought. 

I walk in the door, and as I'm preparing to walk up the stairs I dropped one of the plethora of napkins I had picked up at the dairy. I'm notorious for making a mess so I was trying to be prepared eating ice cream in the car. Unfortunately, my stack of wispy, thin, ice cream shoppe napkins would be no match for events that were about to occur. 

I stoop down to pick up the fallen napkin lowering my purse and the milk jug to the tile floor as I do. I hear a crack and then much to my surprise liquid starts pooling at my feet. I look over at the milk jug in my hand to see that the bottom half is gone. It has shattered on the floor sending all of it's thick, chocolatey, milky goodness every which way. I stand up and stare for a second or two at the giant mess that is filling our entryway, almost unsure that what I'm seeing is actually happening, before I shout "I need help!!" to my husband who was getting the mail. 

Lucky for me, I have the best husband who rather than freak out at the mess that was on the floor, the door frame and the new rug, merely burst out laughing as he saw my predicament wondering aloud, how on earth I managed this. I insisted that the glass shattered without any force on my end, although he still finds this explanation a bit suspicious. He grabbed me the paper towels (which as it turns out were not the right tool for the job) and I began attempting to clean up the mess. Please note at this point, I am still holding a half-eaten ice cream cone. Here is where you readers are in for a treat. My sweet husband decided it was a good opportunity to snag a picture as I tried fruitlessly to contain the spill. 


This seems like a good place in the story to let everyone know I don't own a mop. Which up until this very second had not been a problem. I have a good vacuum, I have a broom, I have swiffer with both wet and dry pads. I thought I was all set until I was trying to sop up a 1/2 gallon of milk with paper towels. We did manage to finally get it cleaned up (with the sacrifice of a few old towels) and the rug went through the wash twice coming out good as new. 

So in the end, the only real damage was to my pride and my chocolate milk inventory which is now 0. No use crying over spilled chocolate milk right?


This month I am linking up with "Two Writing Teachers" for a slice of life, daily writing challenge. 

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! Your picture brings me so much joy, though. I love that you are still smiling despite that you won't be having chocolate milk for the week(and the amazing mess on the floor next to you). A life goal for everyone should be to find joy in messes. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so refreshing to see someone laughing while in a predicament! Your post reminds me that laughter is the best medicine. I probably would have been going over the situation all night long and beating myself up. Go back and get another gallon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I can't help but laugh and love that you didn't put down the ice cream cone! I am glad that your hubby snapped the picture as I am sure it will be a story you continue to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! I know where that chocolate milk came from:) Great picture. When I saw it I thought it might be paint. Glad it was only chocolate milk. Those glass bottles are great until . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooo! That's a big kind of mess! The picture with you smiling while cleaning up th spilled milk and holding your ice cream is priceless! And while it must have been so very frustrating, at least you got a great slice out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you could find humor in a messy situation... and I was very excited to find that I'm not the only person who doesn't own a mop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie, what a predicament you found yourself in but luckily all was not lost. Perhaps, you will go back and get another container of chocolate milk. You will always have your photo to laugh about for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great story. I'm glad you could keep your cool through it all and you've described it so vividly. Thank goodness for an amazing husband who could record the photo as well as help out! Maybe time to invest in a mop!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How does the saying go, "There is no point in crying over spilled milk?" LOL! I'm glad you laughed instead of cried... and the picture is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I mean you are your mother's daughter : ) And that ice cream cone tells me you are also your Mema's granddaughter-ha! Was it on your shoes AND your hat? I'm glad the rug was saved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my!! All you can do is clean it up. Hope you finished your cone before it melted into that mess!! Glad all is well now. Hug!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep old towels are great for mopping up spills. Glad you could keep smiling through it all.

    ReplyDelete