Wednesday, March 3, 2021

What's in a Hobby?

I recently finished a book that really got me thinking. The book is written by an author I love- Annie F. Downs and is called "That Sounds Fun".  In the book, there is a whole section devoted to hobbies and the importance of them and truthfully since I've finished the book, I have been so stuck on this idea of "what are my hobbies?".  We all have them when we're younger and then I think, more and more as we grow older, our hobbies morph something else. They turn into a job or a business, or become a way of meeting some other goal and aren't truly hobbies anymore. A hobby is defined as something that is done regularly, during leisure time, for pleasure. So I've been contemplating what things I do during leisure time, regularly, and just for enjoyment. And I realized, there are very few things in my life that fall in that category.

So I want to change that. I want to first find some leisure time (ha!) and then find something to fill that time that fills me with joy. 

Cooking and baking are the things that come to mind when I first think of a hobby because I've always enjoyed them. However, I can only bake so many cookies before a medical professional tells me it's too much. Right? 

Just before the holidays I started learning to cross-stitch. My first finished piece was a cardinal and I think this is a hobby I may hold onto. I like that it produces something at the end, I like that it keeps my hands busy (a.k.a. away from scrolling social media) and I like that it isn't an expensive hobby. 


I also think I'd like to hold onto writing as a hobby. I'm hoping that this 30 days will put me into a routine of doing it everyday and that I'll be doing it for pleasure, not just because of a challenge or goal I've set. 

If you're stopping by to read, I'd love to know what your hobbies are! 

This month I am linking up with "Two Writing Teachers" for a slice of life daily writing challenge. 

13 comments:

  1. Cross-stitching is a lot of fun. I am a quilter (NOT a cheap hobby), but it does bring me joy and like you, it keeps my hands busy. I also garden in the summer, but in Wisconsin, that doesn't have a very long lifespan. I hope you find something that brings you joy! (And YES!, keep writing!! :)

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I wish I could be a gardener, but was not blessed with a green thumb that's for sure. Perhaps I'll give it another go this summer. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wrote my slice about hobbies too (my unsuccessful attempts, actually). I agree, it's so important to have something fun like a hobby. I hope yours goes very well! Thanks for the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh. My computer is attached to my lap and I have streamed so many series on TV this last year that I can recite the program guide. I used to enjoy making jewelry. I need to dig out some supplied and shut off the TV! (I don't have the patience for cross stitch.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your cross stitch! You're right, for a multitude of reasons, our hobbies fall to the wayside or become an obligation. I hope writing gets added for you too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved cross stitching when I was younger but my old eyes can't do it anymore. My hobbies are many and should probably be whittled down! I sew (small quilting items and pillowcases are my current projects), knitting and crocheting, scrapbooking and card making and whatever craft my eight year old granddaughter wants to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so impressed that you are taking time to discover new hobbies. Your cross stitch looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post! Traveling,
    Writing, reading, photography, camping, collecting stickers like they are bumpers stickers for a car only i stick them all over my Moleskine journals instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post! Traveling,
    Writing, reading, photography, camping, collecting stickers like they are bumpers stickers for a car only i stick them all over my Moleskine journals instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing is a hobby of mine too, I wish it was more than just a hobby! I have done some cross stitch and yours looks great, it's a good easy to manage hobby and as you say, inexpensive. I've also done crochet, knitting, spinning wool and weaving (years ago) but I've come back to crochet (also inexpensive). Right now I also love drawing and painting... Two hobbies is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great cross stitch! I have always wanted to try it again ... after a failed attempt in middle school, I think! I love this take on hobbies - and how you acknowledge that you'll first have to find the free time! hahahahahaha. . . insert tears here! You are making me think.... what's something I can do that will get me away from the computer a bit more? I like to crochet... I'm not GOOD at it... but I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't cross-stitched in years! I think I would have to get one of those "lighted magnifying sewing glass things" in order to do it now! I love your cardinal!

    ReplyDelete