Thursday, March 4, 2021

Grown Up

Last night I had a dream about grocery shopping. Nothing crazy or out of the ordinary, just grocery shopping and the biggest drama was that I felt like I spent too much money for not enough food. When I woke up, I had that experience of not being entirely sure if it was a dream or real. And as I determined that it was in fact a dream, I laid in bed and thought to myself... "Well I guess I'm officially a grown up." The day-to-day tasks of being an adult aren't just part of life they're also part of my dreams. 

When I was a kid I thought being a grown up meant being 18 and independent and maybe for some it is. I definitely did not feel like a grown up at 18 though. I may have been living away from home but was still very much my parent’s child. Then I started to think that maybe you’re a grown up when you graduate and get a job, when you’re own your own in the real world. And sometimes that felt true but other days I still felt a bit like I was playing “house”. Or there would be times when I would look around for a grown up to handle a particular situation only to realize I was that grown up.

And then there are the days when I dream about grocery shopping, or tell my new husband that our cordless vacuum cleaner is the best gift ever, or when I say to a fellow teacher "kids these days...followed by some sort of generation gap reference. These tiny little things that indicate, whether I feel it or not, I am smack-dab in the middle of "grown-upness". 

This month I am linking up with "Two Writing Teachers" for a slice of life daily writing challenge. 

8 comments:

  1. Keep rockin' the skinny jeans, girl!!! I'm a very vivid dreamer and it sounds like you are, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone facing 70 this year, I did chuckle a few times while reading your post but I do remember similar thoughts and feelings when I was 'your age'. I don't think I have ever dreamed about grocery shopping. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing, I have never dreamt of grocery shopping either, it's interesting to read about your transition to adulthood and realise that I never experienced that,I just left the country I grew up in when I was 21 and that was it...I really never went back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been having vivid dreams of normal life things myself!
    And I will always wonder when I might feel like a real grown up. My mom is 71 and she says the same thing... she keeps expecting to grow up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, I wonder just where do my dreams come from. You must have grownup thoughts in your head that triggers the dream. Your slice made me laugh at times like Terri said. This move of mine is driving my husband and I crazy. There are so many tasks and they aren't just about packing. Being a grownup is sometimes just not fun, Maggie, but it is life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dreaming about grocery shopping...lol. I dreamt about my air fryer last year. That one will stick with me. I'm a side part boot leg jean girl myself. Loved this slice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might be a grown up, but you're always and forever my baby girl : )

    ReplyDelete