Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Teaching is For the Brave

I often think of a particular quote that was on a boosterthon fundraising shirt I received several years ago, early on in my teaching career.  It said "Everyone knows and legends are told that teaching is for the brave".  I've reflected on this quote and my life as a teacher more this year than probably ever before and what I've determined is this...

Being a teacher is everything I thought it would be... and so many things I didn't. 

I always thought teaching would be rewarding. It is. 

I never thought teaching would be so exhausting. It is.

I always thought teaching would be fun. It is. (most days)

I never thought teaching could bring me to tears. It has.

I always thought I would buy all the fun school supplies. I do.

I never thought I could have too many school supplies. I definitely do. 

I always thought teaching would involve hard work. It does.

I never thought teaching would involve so much "paperwork". It does. 

I always thought being with the kids would be the best part of teaching. It is.

I never thought I'd be teaching in a world where I can't hug, or high five my kids. I am. 

I always thought teaching was for the eager, the passionate, the loving, the thoughtful and the inspiring. It is.

I never thought teaching was for the brave. But it most certainly is. 


With everything I've always thought and despite the things I never thought, for today at least, teaching is right where I'm meant to be. 

And to all my fellow teachers...Be Brave :) 


This month I am linking up with "Two Writing Teachers" for a slice of life daily writing challenge. 




16 comments:

  1. First, I love this structure and intend to copy it sometime this month!

    Second, it's true in secondary as well. Nailed it. Stuck the landing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Pam! I'm so glad it resonated with you. And it was a really fun structure to use so I definitely recommend :)

      Delete
  2. I love the back and forth of "always" and "never." This is such an excellent reflection - you hit the nail on the head with wonderful and exhausting teaching is; so often, on the same day. Thank you for sharing. Happy slicing and teaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so interested how you can have so many different emotions all in the span of 6 hours at school.

      Delete
  3. Maggie, teaching is for the brave of heart-yes, indeed! I like how you crafted your post with the words always and never. The line that resonates with me and made me pause is "I never thought I'd be teaching in a world where I can't hug, or high five my kids. I am." I like to interject that it also stings to see my little granddaughters and not be able to hug or kiss them. The pandemic has changed relationships in outward appearances but not in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful format for this piece that captures all the complexity and joy of teaching! K-12 certainly loads us up with the paperwork. But the kids are such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! We are brave and strong! It has been a difficult year, but we have all pulled through! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've nailed it with your description of teaching! It absolutely is or isn't all of those things and it most definitely is something you always need to be brave about. It sounds like you're enjoying your teaching journey so far and apart from paperwork, tears and the current situation, it is a great place to be working! Thanks for your slice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the format of this slice. Unfortunately teaching has been for the brave for some time now. I remember when we didn't lock doors, or had secure in place drills, or told children to stand on toilet seats if they got locked out of their classroom. Teaching most certainly requires bravery these days:(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great structure for this slice! We can totally make this structure work for kids too, don't you think? Also - so true, so true... Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ona! I think it could be a fun one to try with the kiddos for sure.

      Delete
  9. Your structure here has such a nice rhythm to it. Teaching is for the brave indeed. I am in awe of the teachers I see on the daily now. Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful and also perfectly you : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hats off to you and your dedication to teaching in this crazy time! God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was a teacher but can't imagine teaching in the current times. It has always been a difficult but rewarding job. I don't think teachers have ever had to be as brave as they have this past year! One of my favorite things was shopping for classroom supplies and I always had too many. I still get excited about new pens :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a retired teacher and mom-in-love to an exhausted teacher, yes, it is hard but rewarding.

    ReplyDelete